Friday, October 11, 2024

My sad car story


Last month, I found a super deal on craigslist on an almost-new 2024 Honda Accord. The seller said he was going through a divorce. After a test drive, I bought it. I went to AAA the next day to do owner transfer. They said the title I had was not legit and they suggested that the car might be stolen, and I should talk to the police!

I used an online site that checks to see if a VIN is reported stolen; it said this VIN was clean. Because of that and because we were leaving for 8 days early the next day, I decided to wait.

When we returned from travel, the online VIN check still said clean. I found a DMV form which I could print, mail with $10, and find the car's "Current Record" and "Ownership History". On Sept. 23, I did that, and I didn't drive the car, waiting to hear back from DMV.

As of this Tuesday, DMV still had not cashed my check. Late yesterday afternoon, the putative owner showed up at my house! He says he has a tracker on the car. He has a key that makes the car (in my garage) beep. He has the permanent plates for the car. (He opened the plate package as I watched.) VIN on the paperwork matches.

We agreed to call the police. After about an hour, they showed up. After another hour of talking to us and checking with DMV and LAPD, they agreed that this guy was the true owner, and they had me turn the car over to him. When examining my driver's license, they noted that it was my birthday. At the end, they apologized for this happening on my birthday.

They will report all this, listing me as the victim of "theft by trickery". They think they might have enough information to track down the thief, but I'm doubtful.

I'm back to my old car, and out all the money I paid for the newer one.

No comments:

Post a Comment