Friday, February 15, 2019

Autographs — David Kopay



In November, I read that Dave Kopay lived near Occidental and frequently walked his dog on campus. I bought his book and hoped to catch him and get his autograph. I had read the book when it first came out, but I had not bought it at the time.

I kept the book in my car. When I stopped by Oxy this morning to pick up several newspapers, I saw him and his dog; he was talking to someone. I hoped he would keep talking long enough for me to run back to my car and get the book. 

It all worked out. He said he had just mentioned the book to the woman he was chatting with, and here I was with it.

When his book came out in 1977, I was an officer of the gay student group at USC, and we arranged for him to speak on campus. I think it was his first public speaking engagement; I remember he was a bit nervous before the talk. It was an overflow crowd. Here is the ad:



(I always thought that was a great illustration, too. I don't know who the artist was.)

(Index of autographs)

No comments:

Post a Comment