Saturday, May 10, 2014

Keep your religion to yourself

In the wake of the Supreme Court's ruling on prayer before government meetings, I sent the following letter to the Los Angeles Times (not published):

Keep your religion to yourself.

Why is that so hard?
Let me elaborate here:

  • If you're not with co-religionists, keep your religion to yourself.
  • Pray anytime and anywhere you like, but silently.
  • If you shove your religion in my face, I may not react sweetly.
  • Don't expect me to respect your religion. I probably respect it less than I do the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
  • I don't want your imaginary god's blessing when I sneeze. Try “Good health to you” or, shorter, “Gesundheit” or “Salud”.
(I wrote much the same a couple of years ago.)
(See also Why I am an angry atheist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment