Sunday, November 25, 2018

Suitcase destroyed




On our Asia trip, we flew from Singapore to Bali on Tiger Airlines, operated by Scoot Airlines, and my suitcase was destroyed! 

When the bag was checked in Singapore, it was fine — zipped closed, and with a small combination lock. When it was on the conveyor belt in Bali, the bag had knife cuts, the zipper was cut through, the zipper pulls and combination lock were gone, and the bag was open with contents spilling out. It could not be closed at all; the zipper is completely open and there are no zipper pulls.

I did not see any Scoot/Tiger luggage office. The bag could not be wheeled. We had to use a luggage cart, and it required both of us to lift it onto the cart. We proceeded to the exit. Our Bali guide was there and took some photos of the suitcase. 

I have no money or jewelry or electronics in my luggage, so the would-be thief was disappointed. As far as I can tell, nothing was missing or damaged from the contents. If the bag was open during the flight or even during off-loading, surely some stuff would have disappeared. Since nothing was gone, this must have happened at the Bali airport.

I wrote Scoot Airlines about this. They replied that I had to
report the lost baggage to a member of the Scoot ground services team prior to leaving the airport. Baggage claims cannot be dealt with after you have left the airport.
When I responded that I did not see any member of the Scoot ground services team at the Bali airport Baggage Claim area, they said that the case was already closed. 

Of course, we had to spend a chunk of our time in Bali buying a new suitcase. At the large Matahari (!) department store, I bought a "Jack Nicklaus" bag (fake?) for about $66. It's the first bag I've had with four wheels instead of two (so it rolls alongside instead of being pulled) and with a built-in TSA combination lock for the zipper pulls.


No comments:

Post a Comment